Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Oh boy – am I in trouble with my blog or what? The vicious cycle of large batches and delays!

What the heck has happened? This guy writes only 5 posts and claims to be in trouble already? What a looser! - or?
Here is the deal. Yesterday happened many many things. In fact, the day had been so busy that I was not even able to capture all observations properly. I only took some quick notes. Then I started to write the blog. I want to write a high quality blog, with meaningful insights from a learning point of view … from a scrum master's life point of view, as few typos as possible, no missing words. The post which I planned to published yesterday grew bigger and bigger. I wanted to include some illustrations (some which I did in courses by hand but never put into electronic format). As a consequence, I was not able to finish the blog yesterday evening. So I started to be late. Well, I thought no problem, I do right away today morning. And what happened today? In the morning I wanted to do more preparation for my first workshop with the team. There are a few other items I need to care of because of the end of the fiscal year i.e. I want to get some money back from the company. So, again I had no time to write the post. We had the workshop (more about it later) and more observations – more illustrations came (read in product development: more features!). Instead of publishing my unfinished post (I do not want to sacrifice the quality of writing – oh yeah, it could get much worse then this ;) ), I decided to wait and I can add the new observations in an even bigger post. We had our daily scrum and after that there was a short discussion on some practical stuff. I regarded it as my job to take care of those actions, so I had no time to think about the post and the post got delayed again. The afternoon went by and more impressions occured and now?? Help – I AM STUCK IN OPERATIONAL WORK and have NO TIME TO REFLECT on what is happening around me anymore (more about this later). I am in a vicious circle. Big batches lead to delays. Delays lead to bigger batches. Bigger batches lead to even more delays. Read any basic book about batch size, queues and this starts to sound familiar - or? What will I do now? I will produce smaller batches i.e., smaller posts and most likely this means, I will release more often. Wow – what an experience! Since this takes extra effort – I will do some overtime tonite, take a glass of German ”Glühwein” and start typing.

1 comment:

  1. Hi!

    Just started reading the blog, and since you mentioned this:

    "I want to write a high quality blog, with meaningful insights from a learning point of view … from a scrum master's life point of view, as few typos as possible, no missing words."

    I'd recommend using more paragraphs. It's difficult to read and then extract the main points (even a relatively short post as this one).

    Good luck and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete